A,B,C,D its the future!

Hey Everyone,

It has yet again been a manic few months, I would firstly like to apologise for the lack of updates….but I will be aiming to have a fresh blog monthly from here on in, it’s all getting really exciting!

We have had a few set backs with the Challenge and it has been a massive learning curve for all involved but we have worked through them and are back on track and it is all adding to the learning aspect if nothing else. My personal development has been the highlight of the past few months if I’m honest, I have absorbed more valuable information over the past few months than I have in my entire working life I feel. I recently attended the Asset Based Community Developement (ABCD) training in Manchester hosted by the lovely Cormac Russell and Jim Diers, it was a fabulous two-day course which really brought us back to basics and to realise the true potential power that a community has.

Some of the games we played were truly fascinating, not in the actual playing but the outcomes….basically we were given a pack of 100 potential jobs, some trades i.e knocking down walls, plastering, plumbing that sort of thing and then other jobs such as organising meetings, answering the phone etc and we had three cards each with I can do, I can’t but I know someone who can, I can’t do and I don’t know anyone that can. We had to guess what the results would be and they couldn’t have been more wrong, 83% of the jobs on those cards we could actually do amongst the 8 people on our table and the other 17% could be done by someone who we knew, no cards were in the 3rd pile. 

How amazing is that, how often do we underestimate our assets?!?!?

There were many other games over the course of the two days and it truly was inspirational both on a personal level and in helping me to visualise the potential in Speke.

Its is definitely a movement I think the Neighbourhood Challenge could benefit from!

Advertisements

2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Philip Colligan on January 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

    Fantastic stuff. Glad to see you back blogging and hoping to come and visit you again soon. Philip

    Reply

    • Posted by sophiesaunders1 on January 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

      Thanks Phillip, it would be great to have you visit us again! Anytime your free just let us know. Sophie

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: